I have been using Atom as my editor for the last 6 months. It was easy and it has lots of plugins for lots of functionality. And it is open source. But I have found it takes a lot of memory , so the computer becomes sluggish when opening a couple of browsers.
So I tried Vim as a replacement for Atom. I had heard it was lightweight and fast. And it is. But it don't have much functionality out of the box. Installing themes and correcting colors was frustratingly difficult. The shortcuts are different from Atom. And you need to spend literally days to optimize Vim to your standards.
Still, yesterday I wanted to create a new snippet, but found that it didn't work with emmet for whatever reason. So I installed snipmate.vim and tried to create a new snippet. "Tried" being the keyword here. After spending an hour trying this I finally realized you have to use hard tabs instead of spaces in the snippets file. I know , I should have read the manual first. But it was very easy in Atom and keybindings were more streamlined, not a jumbled mess as with my Vim setup.
So here is my Vim setup.
It looks cool and now I am addicted to the new interface. I use a bunch of different plugins : -
Vim-plug , Emmet, lightline, Nerdtree , ctrlp , CSExactColors , And bunch of themes.
Anyway Vim works alright overall, and I will try it until I would be fed up with it. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment